Sunday, June 19, 2011

Excerpt of Marriage Murders

The second novella in my Briny Bay mystery series is just a couple of weeks away from being published. I can't wait to see what you folks say. Here's a short excerpt from the book:

Roxie stood over Glynnis, placing a cold rag on her forehead. “A bit of color’s coming back to your cheeks, dear.”


Tears flowed down the bride-to-be’s face. “Butch can’t be dead. He was in my bed just four hours ago.”

Dottie handed Glynnis a box of tissues, pulling one out first for herself.

Roxie shook her head. Her assistant was the world’s biggest softie. “Discretion makes me suggest you not spread around that information.”

“He’s dead!” She burst into sobs. “Besides, it wasn’t a big secret.” Glynnis blew her nose. “We’d been doing it for more than a month, kind of breaking in all the working parts as he liked to say.” A startled look passed over her face and she wailed, burying her head in a new tissue. “I broke all his parts!”

Roxie stroked her shoulder. “Oh, now honey, you know that isn’t true. Fact is, he probably needed an overhaul before you ever took a test drive.”

Glynnis collapsed again into more sobs, covering her face with multiple tissues.

The door opened and Trixie raced in. “Carol’s covering, took me a minute to get her to pop over from her house. Have I missed anything?”

Roxie shook her head. “Not exactly.”

“Oh, for heaven’s sake, how many brides have fainted on you? Get the poor girl out of the floor and onto the settee.” She held her hand out to the woman. “Grab here, Glynnis and let me help you up. Once you’re seated we’ll talk a spell.” Trixie grimaced as the woman grabbed her hand, tissues and all.

The plump young woman wrestled to her feet with a loud humph and, supporting her under the arm, Trixie helped her to the loveseat. “There. Now, who called you to tell you how Butch died, sweetheart?”

Glynnis’ eyes filled with fresh tears. “Alex Simpson, his best man. They’d gone fishing to take the edge off his nerves, According to Alex, Butch keeled over and fell right out of the boat. Alex said he had a hell of a time getting him out of the Sound, but Butch never revived, even after he dragged him out on the sand. My Butch--just like a beached whale!”

“Did the EMS come?”

“Did I hear you say EMS? If you’re asking if they showed up to get Butch, they did.” Jack entered the bridal shop. “So did the police. Ms. Linden, I know how upset you must be, but could you come with me for just a few questions?”

Trixie frowned. “Why is it so important Glynnis go right now? Can’t you give somebody time to grieve anymore?”

Jack crossed his arms. “Sis, I take orders from my boss. Considering the circumstances, he believes it’s important Glynnis come in now. That’s all you need to know.”

Glynnis nodded, her bottom lip trembling. “It’s all right. I’ll go. Jack’s just doing his duty. Heaven knows I want to make sure this was just natural causes.” She stood, her legs still wobbling and Jack grabbed her arm. “Let’s go, Glynnis, I’ll be as easy as I can.”

As they walked out, Roxie grabbed Trixie’s arm. “I hate to say this,” she whispered, “But Jack was right.”

Trixie stared at Rox, wide-eyed. “How so?”

Roxie took a deep breath and exhaled. “Butch would never have gone fishing to settle his nerves. He didn’t fish. Ever. That man was petrified of the water.”

No comments:

Post a Comment